Dandruff is a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis. Contrary to the popular misconception, it is caused by excessive oiliness, not dryness.
Dandruff is characterized by a flaky scalp and may be accompanied by symptoms such as red patches, itchiness, and scalp irritation. Although it is extremely irritating, it is not a serious condition. More often than not, it is caused by yeast called Malassezia furfur that is commonly present on the scalp.It feeds on scalp oil and tends to break it, eventually causing flaking due to the unsaturated fatty acids it leaves behind.
The excessive use of hair spray and styling gel can also lead to dandruff. Genetic factors, stress, climate, excessive perspiration, etc. may also contribute to this embarrassing problem. It is not a contagious condition.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff
Here are 10 easy ways for getting rid of dandruff.
- Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
- Tea Tree Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Listerine (Original)
- Baking Soda
- Thyme Concoction
- Apple Juice
- Neem Leaves
- Fenugreek Seeds
Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
- Take five tablespoons of coconut oil and adda tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply this solution on your scalp.
- Leave on for half an hour.
- Wash and rinse your hair.
This is an excellent method to heal dandruff naturally.
- Crush eight aspirin tablets.
- Add this to a tablespoon of your favorite shampoo.
- Shampoo, and leave the mixture on your scalp for at least 2 minutes.
- Rinse and style as usual.
*Alternatively, you can mix three aspirin tablets in a spray bottle filled with hot water, and rinse your hair with this solution before shampooing.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Mix one tablespoon of tea tree essential oil with either A) a cup of warm water, or B) two tablespoons coconut or olive oil.
- Massage this onto your scalp.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Shampoo as usual.
Tea tree essential oil is one of the simplest yet most effective home treatments for dandruff.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Rinse your hair with this solution.
- Repeat daily for about 10 days.
Original Yellow Listerine
- Dip a cotton ball in Listerine mouthwash.
- Rub it onto your scalp after shampooing your hair.
- Rinse it out after about five minutes.
- Â Repeat this treatment daily for about one week.
You will need the original yellow Listerine for this remedy because it has great antifungal properties.
- Add water to about a half cup of baking soda to form a paste.
- Shampoo your hair with the mixture.
- Leave on your hair for one minute.
- Rinse as usual.
- Repeat daily for about one week.
- Boil four tablespoons of dried thyme in two cups of water for about 10 minutes.
- Cool and strain this solution through a sieve.
- Massage this healing herbal infusion on your scalp three times daily.
- If possible, leave it on your scalp overnight to reduce dandruff flakes.
- Rinse off with clean water.
*You can also use it as a final rinse after shampooing.
- Mix a tablespoon of pure apple juice in about three tablespoons of warm water.
- Massage this hair tonic onto your scalp three times a week to keep dandruff at bay.
*Apple juice is believed to have enzymes that help remove dead skin cells and flakes.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in four cups of water for around 10 minutes.
- Strain and cool this solution.
- Rinse your hair with this decoction to combat dandruff.
*It is also beneficial in curing head lice and hair loss.
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds (methi) in water overnight.
- In the morning, grind the seeds into a fine paste and set it aside for about half an hour.
- Apply the paste on your scalp.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this procedure on a regular basis to reduce dandruff.
* You can also add crushed neem leaves, lime juice, and yogurt to this mixture.
Tips to Prevent Dandruff
- Dandruff can be caused by a lack of brushingâ€”brushing helps remove dead skin cells from the scalp. It also distributes natural oils throughout the scalp instead of just letting it build up. Hence, brush your hair regularly.
- Enjoy a diet rich in essential fatty acids, B vitamins, and zinc as they help prevent dandruff.
Dos and Donâ€™ts
|Do keep the scalp clean so as to reduce the accumulation of dead skin cells. Preferably, use an anti-dandruff shampoo frequently.
||Do not use shampoos containing harsh chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate.
|Do enjoy the sun for a little while, at least five to ten minutes in the morning or evening as this is beneficial in preventing and treating dandruff.
||Do not scratch your scalp with your fingernails as it is likely to damage the roots.
|Do cut back on your hair styling products as they contribute to causing dandruff.
||Donâ€™t keep your head covered for long periods of time.