Unwelcomed dark spots on your skin often tend to mask your beauty. They can be caused by a number of factors such as exposure harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun, increasing age, acne scars, blemishes, improper skin care, skin inflammation, dermatitis, poor liver function, and so on.
At times, hormonal fluctuations, genetic factors, and intake of certain medications can also give rise to skin hyperpigmentation. Besides, it has been observed that individuals with darker skin tone are more susceptible to this problem.
How to Get Rid of Dark Spots
Given below are 10 ways to help fade dark spots.
- Lemon Juice
- Pineapple Juice
- Red Onion
- Vitamin E Oil
- Green Tea Extract
- Potato Juice
- Kojic Acid
- Cosmetic Treatment
- Simply applying freshly squeezed lemon juice on dark spots for about 10-15 minutes is one of the most popular natural remedies for getting rid of skin pigmentation. Moreover, you can add organic honey or yogurt in thisÂ natural bleach to provide moisture and promote soft and smooth skin. Follow this treatment thrice weekly.
- Soak a cotton ball in pineapple juice and dab it on the affected areas. Rinse it off after five minutes. Alternatively, you can scrub your skin with pineapple slices to reduce dark spots, even warts and wrinkles. Being rich in alpha-hydroxy acids, it also helps slow down the process of aging. However, make sure you do not leave this citrus juice on your skin for more than 5-10 minutes as it may burn your skin.
- Buttermilk is often used to reduce brown spots and skin pigmentation because it contains lactic acid which tends to lighten the skin safely without causing any irritation. Thus, you can dip a cotton swab in buttermilk or sour milk and apply it on the affected area. Wash your skin after 15-20 minutes. In case you have oily skin, you may apply a mixture of four teaspoons of buttermilk and two teaspoons of tomato juice.
- Dice a red onion and extract its juice by sieving it through clean cheesecloth. Apply the resultant juice daily on the affected areas and wash it off after about 10 minutes to help fade dark spots naturally. To increase the effectiveness of this remedy, you can mix apple cider vinegar in onion juice.
- Pure vitamin E oil is beneficial for reducing scars, brown spots, and wrinkles. Plus, it smoothes rough skin and encourages cell regeneration. Hence, you can apply this oil regularly on your dark spots to remove them safely. Though not proven scientifically, still it is believed that application of castor oil is also helpful in clearing dark spots. So, you can use a combination of both these oil, too. Besides, vitamin E oil can be combined with aloe vera gel as well, especially if the pigmentation is caused by prolonged sun exposure.
- Green tea is known to have cured brown spots and acne scars because of its potent antioxidant qualities. So, steep a green tea bag in hot water for 10-15 minutes and apply this solution on your face several times in a day. Moreover, you can apple green tea extract or a mixture of one tablespoon of ground green tea leaves and three tablespoons of plain yogurt.
- Potato juice, too, has bleaching properties that help fade dark spots, blemishes, and under-eye circles. To make this remedy more effective, you may mix lemon juice, and honey in juice extracted from raw potatoes. Leave this mixture on your face for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Papaya, green unripe papaya in particular, is known for its beauty benefits pertaining to the skin because it contains alpha hydroxyl acids. It contains an enzyme called papain that inhibits tyrosinase, the enzyme which is used by the pigment-producing cells to make melanin. Thus, it clears dark spots and helps even out the skin tone. Therefore, apply the pulp of green papaya on your dark spots for about 15 minutes daily.
- Kojic acid cures hyperpigmentation by inhibiting melonasis. So, it is an antioxidant with skin lightening properties. It is used in some skin whitening and anti-aging creams in concentrations of 1%. You can use any of these creams to heal your dark spots and get an even skin tone. Hydroquinone creams, too, are effective for skin lightening but they can make your skin sensitive to the sun. Moreover, it should not be used for a long time. Thus, these creams should not be used for more than one to three months.
- If your dark spots do not respond to the solutions mentioned above yet you are desperate to get rid of them, then you may opt for cosmetic treatments like Chemical Peels, Microdermabrasion, Laser Resurfacing, Intense Pulsed Light (IPL), and so on. When considering about these procedures though, beware of their risks and side effects.
Tips to Prevent Dark Spots
- Exposure to sunlight tends to cause freckles and worsens existing dark spots. Thus, it is suggested to wear a sunscreen with SPF 15 or more about 20 minutes before stepping out in the sun. Plus, keep your skin covered by wearing hats, scarves, long sleeved shirts, etc.
- Take a healthy diet and drink adequate amount of water throughout the day as vitamin deficiencies can also contribute in causing dark spots
Dos and Donâ€™ts
|Do exfoliate your skin once or twice a week.
||Do not squeeze or pop your pimples.
|Do follow a good skin care routine of cleansing, toning, and moisturizing your skin. Plus, make sure you remove all make-up at night before bedtime.
||Do not use regular bar soaps on your face and neck as they can make your skin dry. Instead, use a face wash formulated for your skin type.
||Do not ignore irregular shaped dark spots that keep changing appearance. Get them checked by a doctor to rule out the possibility of melanoma skin cancer.