Having dull, frizzy hair is quite a common problem in those with coarse and curly hair. Hot and humid weather contributes in causing the same.
Besides, factors like excessive dryness, use of chemicals, heat treatment, and environmental factors may also cause this problem.
Basically, it happens when the outermost layer of the hair, that is, the cuticle becomes rough and porous due to these factors.
Thus, it absorbs more moisture from the air and allows it to penetrate to the middle layer (cortex). It results in uneven swelling, thereby making your hair appear frizzy.
Use of heating tools such as curling irons, flat irons, rollers, even blow dryers tends to make your hair dry and brittle over time. Hence, apart from causing frizzy hair, it makes your hair susceptible to breakage.
In addition, exposure to sunlight, harsh chemicals, windy weather, and habits like rubbing your hair vigorously after washing make your hair dry, frizzy, and prone to static cling.
How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair
Here are 9 tips and tricks to help your battle with frizzy hair.
- Natural Oils
- Safflower Oil
- Egg Yolk
- Mayonnaise and Avocado Hair Mask
- Aloe Vera and Coconut Oil
- Dryer Sheet
- Regular Moisturizer
- Detangling Spray
- Massage your hair and scalp with natural oils like olive oil and coconut oil (preferably slightly heated in a microwave or double boiler) to tame the frizz. Leave the oil on your hair for at least 45 minutes before washing it off. You can follow this treatment about once a week. Apart from moisturizing, it shall nourish your lustrous locks and promote hair growth, too.
- After styling your hair, rub two to three drops of safflower oil between your palms and run your fingers through your hair, especially the ends to eliminate the frizz. Argan oil can also be used in the same way.
- Whisk two egg yolks and apply the mixture on your hair about 30-45 minutes before washing your hair. It provides protein and moisture to your hair and hence, helps manage frizzy hair naturally.
- Scoop out the pulp of half an avocado, mash it and add one cup of mayonnaise in it. Apply this smooth mayonnaise and avocado mask on your hair and wash it off after 20-30 minutes to get rid of frizzy hair. Use this hair mask about once a week. You can prepare another deep conditioning hair mask by mixing one egg, and a quarter cup each of olive oil and mayonnaise.
- Mix a quarter cup each of aloe vera gel and coconut oil. Heat the mixture in a microwave for about 20 seconds to melt the oil. To mix both the ingredients well, you can put them in a blender and run it. Finally, apply it on your hair and leave it for about 15-20 minutes before washing your hair. Apart from removing the frizzes, it shall help restore your hairâ€™s sheen and eliminate dandruff. Besides, you can prepare a hydrating hair spray for frizzy hair by mixing half a cup each of aloe vera gel and distilled water.
- Replenish moisture in your hair by rinsing your tresses with a can of flat beer, from the roots to the ends. Let it sit in your hair for a couple of minutes. Finally, rinse your hair with cool water. Beer is often used as a natural hair conditioner because it is rich in proteins. Moreover, it adds volume to your hair, and makes them shiny and smooth. You can also combine equal parts of beer and apple cider vinegar. Mix one tablespoon of this mixture in a pint of water and use it as a last rinse. It shall help detangle your hair and reduce flyaways.
- Running a dryer sheet over your hair can prove useful in managing frizzy, flyaway hair caused by static in the air. You may rub a dryer sheet on your comb and brush as well.
- Another easy and quick fix for dry, frizzy hair involves the use of a regular moisturizer. You can take a small amount of the moisturizer in your palms and apply it on your hair. On the downside, it is likely to weigh down your hair and make them appear oily.
- Spray a little childrenâ€™s detangling spray in your palms and run it through your hair to get rid of the frizz without making your hair oily and limp. Besides, you can choose from a variety of commercially available anti-frizz products like serums.
Tips to Prevent Frizzy Hair
- To avoid frizzy hair, deep condition your hair on a regular basis and prefer to use a protein-based cream hair conditioner. When choosing hair care products, choose the ones that can add moisture to your hair.
- Avoid brushing dry hair as it can cause damage to the hair cuticle. Rather, you can wet and finger-comb your hair to remove the knots and tangles.
- While blow-drying your hair, use the dryer only around the roots, not the hair shaft and tip. After blow drying your hair, hit the cool shot button to apply cool air that smoothens the cuticles and eliminates the frizz.
- Protect your lustrous locks from exposure to the sun and wind.
- Take a proper diet rich in protein and essential vitamins and minerals to maintain healthy hair. Strands of coarse hair, in particular require protein. Thus, you can also apply protein-rich hair masks to prevent frizzy hair and reduce split ends, too.
Dos and Donâ€™ts
|Do apply a good conditioner after washing your hair. In case you need to use a heating tool, make sure you apply a leave-in conditioner before styling your hair.
||Do not use styling products, hair colors, bleaches, etc. in excess. Stay away from alcohol-based hair care products as well. Shampoos containing sodium lauryl sulfate are also a big no-no.
|Do get your hair trimmed every 6-8 week to get rid of split ends; they make frizzy and flyaway hair appear worse.
||After washing your hair, do not rub your tresses vigorously with a towel. Instead, squeeze or blot your hair with the help of a soft towel.
||Do not shampoo your hair every day as it makes your hair dry.